This post was created in partnership with Naked Juice. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Today I wanted to share a little bit more about a cause that really means a lot to me. I am lucky enough to live in an area with plenty of grocery stores and markets around, but that isn’t the reality for nearly 300,000 other people who live in the same city as me. It’s staggering to think that this lack of access to healthy foods and produce is prevalent so close to home, but food deserts are a reality all across the U.S.
It’s easy to take for granted (I know I do) how simple it is for a lot of us to access healthy food which is why I am really honored and excited to spread more awareness about these food deserts. I’ve teamed up with Naked Juice and Wholesome Wave on their #drinkgooddogood campaign. For every photo you post with a fruit or veggie, 10 pounds (that’s a LOT) of produce gets donated to Wholesome Wave, a non-profit dedicated to eradicating food deserts in communities across the U.S. It’s amazing that we can make such an impact nowadays just by using social media and sharing photos. Just snap a photo, and tag a friend to do the same (the Gather Tumblr has lots of fun inspiration). Let’s make this happen together.
In honor of #drinkgooddogood, I thought I’d share one of my favorite, super-simple summertime recipes that incorporates a lot of fresh and healthy ingredients. This salad uses lots of great summer produce so it’s perfect for this time of year. Enjoy!
Summer Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
-2-3 hand fulls of lettuce
-8-10 strawberries (sliced)
-2 tbsp. grated sharp cheddar
-1/2 cup of crushed pecans
-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
-1/3 cup olive oil
-1 tablespoon honey
-Salt and pepper to taste
1) Chop your lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
2) Cut your strawberries into small flat slices, lengthwise. Optional: add in some slice cherry tomatoes or pears depending on the season.
3) Grate your choice of sharp cheddar cheese.
4) For the dressing, place all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until well incorporated, making sure no honey is sticking to the bottom.
5) Place a portion of the salad mixture onto a plate and drizzle with the honey-balsamic vinaigrette. Finish by topping with the cheese of your choice. Simple and easy!